[K12OSN] Open Office problem!

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 02:58:33 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:51 AM, David Hopkins <dahopkins429 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> "Could not launch application  Failed to execute child process
>> "openoffice.org" (No such file or directory)"
>>
>> The command the shortcut references is:
>>
>> openoffice.org -writer %U
>
> To fix this, I run gconf-editor, then under apps->panel->objects I
> change the .desktop file that the panel icons point to by selecting
> the key that specifies which .desktop file to launch and changing the
> name, for instance, from openoffice.org -writer %U to openoffice.org3
> -writer %U .... it should also be possible to just go to the
> /usr/share/applications directory and rename
> openoffice.org3-writer.desktop to openoffice.org-writer.destkop (for
> instance) and have everything work as well.   I also set the icons to
> "Mandatory" using the gconf-editor GUI to force these panel objects to
> show up always.  If you can't tell, I really like gconf-editor and
> what it can do (like setting the http_proxy setting and other
> system-wide settings in addition to apps)

Thank you for letting me know about this little program -- it does
seem very useful!

However while I am able to use it to set up the correct launch
location, etc. I don't have that 'mandatory' option, nor are the icons
on the panel.  They do show up under apps ->panel ->objects but
they're not on the panel itself -- I think I erased them when I
uninstalled the stock OO.

How do I restore them and get that mandatory option?

One more question -- cosmetic but I think important.  openoffice
automatically associates it's icons with .doc and .xls files, but it
does not with .docx and .xlsx files -- how do I associate their image
with the files?

Thank you
Joseph