[K12OSN] LDM Login Slowness and Video Performance - Ubuntu

k12ltsp k12ltsp at hermon.net
Tue Jul 21 15:25:49 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

For the first time, we are trying Edubuntu 9.04 LTSP to see if we can get
it to work for our district this year. For the most part, everything is
working, but we have run into a few issues that are holding us back and
I'm wondering if anyone can provide us guidance.

1. NIS/NFS login time too slow.

For some odd reason, when a user logs into a terminal, there is a waiting
period of 1 minute before the login is complete. When the user logs in,
the screen remains black with the rotating cursor.

We are using NFS on a central home server in our district. This central
server acts as the NIS server as well for our accounts.

We've localized the issue with LDM. I forced the terminals to boot and
load GDM, and when a user logs in through the GDM interface, their account
loads immediately. However, the GDM hack isn't perfect because a screen
comes up on each terminal asking the user to pick a XDMCP server to
connect to, which won't work in a production environment.

Does anyone know where we can find more information on how to correct the
login delay with the LDM Login Manager?

2. We are having a slow video performance issue on the terminals compared
to our CentOS 5 servers. On the CentOS 5 server, student connect to a
Video Library server we have through a web browser, which plays
full-screen using the mplayerplug-in.

The plugin launches and the video launches, but it runs too slow.

I should mention that we have turned off SSH tunneling by adding "
LDM_DIRECTX=y" into the /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf file.

Thank you!

Alan Owen
Assistant to the Director of Information Services
Hermon Information Services/Hermon School Department
"Using Technology to Empower All Students to Succeed in a Changing World."