[K12OSN] LDM Login Slowness and Video Performance - Ubuntu

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Jul 21 15:32:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 8:25 AM, k12ltsp<k12ltsp at hermon.net> wrote:
> 1. NIS/NFS login time too slow.
>
> For some odd reason, when a user logs into a terminal, there is a waiting
> period of 1 minute before the login is complete. When the user logs in,
> the screen remains black with the rotating cursor.
>
> We are using NFS on a central home server in our district. This central
> server acts as the NIS server as well for our accounts.
>
> We've localized the issue with LDM. I forced the terminals to boot and
> load GDM, and when a user logs in through the GDM interface, their account
> loads immediately. However, the GDM hack isn't perfect because a screen
> comes up on each terminal asking the user to pick a XDMCP server to
> connect to, which won't work in a production environment.
>
> Does anyone know where we can find more information on how to correct the
> login delay with the LDM Login Manager?

We ran into a similar issue that seemed to be to do with the number of
IDs in the authentication back-end (LDAP in our case), rather than the
NFS piece. How many users/groups in your NIS setup?

I submitted a bug (w/ a patch) in April, FWIW:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ltsp/+bug/357268

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services