UPDATE: Re: [K12OSN] C-Media CM8738 Sound Card Problem

murrah boswell otrcomm at isp-systems.net
Wed Jun 3 03:44:32 UTC 2009

Peter,

> I missed the beginning of this thread, but if you are having trouble
> getting sound to work with Dell Latitudes as clients for a K12LTSP
> server, see
> http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/WorkInProgress#esd_ALSA_sound_on_LTSP_4_2

I have already been here a few days ago and done all they suggested with the new ALSA download.

The new ALSA distro installs snd-maestro3 in

/lib/modules/2.6.18-8.1.6.el5/kernel/sound/pci/snd-maestro3.ko

so I copied the new snd-maestro3.ko into

/opt/ltsp/i386/lib/modules/2.6.17.8-ltsp-1/kernel/sound/pci/

One thing of interest is that the new snd-maestro3.ko is over seven times larger that the one packaged with K12LTSP 5EL. That is,
212083 vs 29382.

The suggested modification to /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/audiolist-alsa was already in the distro, except now it is in
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/audiolist.

These changes did not have any impact on the TC being able to load maestro3 and like I said earlier, when I changed the entry in
lts.conf to

[ws253]
#       SMODULE_01    =  maestro3
         SMODULE_01    =  cmipci

I never even saw a mention of cmipci when the TC was booting, just negative reference to maestro3.

Murrah