Re: [K12OSN] Preparing K12Linux F11

Terrell Prude' Jr. wrote:
Fortunately, we already have an excellent LTSP4-based distro today, and that's K12LTSP 5EL, which will be supported until the year 2014. I'd suggest that any CentOS 6-based K12Linux also include LTSP 4 as an optional "for legacy hardware" installatation. The Fedora releases should stay bleeding edge, because that's the whole point of Fedora.

But now we're getting to a point where LTSP might no longer be a good business case.

The whole point of LTSP was to be able to reuse old computers as thin clients to save both money and the environment. IIRC, for a time, Jim McQuillan himself even resold Dell OptiPlex GX1's as a thin-client option not so long ago. If we're now going toward super-powerful (and increasingly expensive) thin client hardware, then we have a problem. As a buyer, I'd be better off spending the extra $20 for a full-fledged PC and install my choice of distro on the hard disk (Ghost, Kickstart, however). Oh, and I just saved the expense of buying an LTSP server. Whoops....

Maybe, but don't forget the time it takes to load that local hard disk and keep it working in a hostile environment like a classroom.

Here's an example of what I mean.

http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16183&cat=249&page=1

It's hard to argue with using local resources, but perhaps a drbl boot server booting fat clients with NFS roots is the next step - and being able to mix/match that with identical application access from thin clients and mostly-standalone systems.

Regardless, there is another piece to this puzzle that everyone is dancing around so far. That is the inclusion of some easy way to load the stuff that Fedora is never going to include. Eric was absolutely wonderful in providing those 'get-xxxx' scripts for the parts that make the system useful and in some cases also the yum repo to distribute them. I don't see any reason to expect a distro that doesn't include those things to add them now. Is there some other way this can be handled to bypass the issue? Perhaps an rpm that can be installed by clicking on a web link that adds the needed yum repositories and the get-xxx scripts.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell gmail com