[K12OSN] Introducing Fedora's Education SIG

Hi everybody,

I'm Sebastian Dziallas, the lead of Fedora's Education Special Interest Group, where we're currently working out a new concept of an educational open source solution for students, as well as teachers.

It basically includes a spin - a special flavor of Fedora - designed especially for students and teachers, to provide them with an encouraging experience to contribute to educational efforts.

So this is about allowing you, your students, to better work with upstream projects and even to contribute to them. So we're not providing the perfect solution. We're making the tools to create it.

Now, why am I sending this here? Because we need YOU!

We need teachers interested in such solutions, who're willing to talk to developers, as it is currently happening in SugarLabs' Math4 project [1], which has been started by Greg DeKoenigsberg. Following that way, developers will have people to make stuff for.

In the end, it's all about establishing a connection between the different involved parties: Students. Teachers. Developers.

That's what we're trying to do.

So if you can articulate problems, on which classes could work, for example using our spin, just speak up. If this sounds interesting to you, you might also want to head over to our wiki page [2].

Please share any ideas or thoughts you may have with us! Mel, who I cc'ed to this e-mail, Warren and me are happy to answer questions...

Best Regards,
Sebastian Dziallas

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Math4Team
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Education