[Fwd: Re: [K12OSN] Custom kernel for thin clients]

(Resent with the "right" return address)

Hi Barry,

This is a custom kernel for this TC only - the others use the existing
kernel. All other machines still boot properly. I have actually spent
quite some time on this before hitting the list.
I added the NIC=tg3 line to the pxelinux.cfg/01-00... machine specific
file, added:
MODULE_01 = tg3
to the MAC specific entry in lts.conf
I downloaded the driver from Broadcom's website and it would still fail
(somewhere around the lts.conf stage) so decided to compile the driver
into the kernel.

pxelinux.cfg/01-00... looks like this:

prompt 0
label linux
 kernel vmlinuz-2.6.29.4
 append root=/dev/ram0 rw initrd=initramfs-2.6.29.4-NAFS.gz NIC=tg3

Does that look like I need support for ramfs of some kind?

Barry R Cisna wrote:
Patrick,

Since you have done the kernel recompile for TC use,have you had ANY
TC's that will boot? I mean do you have a second TC that you can test
besides the DELL Opti? Are you sure nfs is in fact running on your
server with all the new stuff in place? 1. Do an 'service nfs status'.
You should see a return of something very close to the following:
rpc.mountd (pid 3595) is running...
nfsd (pid 3592 3591 3590 3589 3588 3585 3584 3583) is running...
rpc.rquotad (pid 3566) is running...
2. Next do an 'nmap locahost'.
see if you have 2049/tcp listening to verify.
Recompiling the kernel from scratch can be a real time eater, trying to
figure out the behind the scene caveats. But you are giving it the ol
college try it sounds like.
Let us know your progress.

Take Care,
Barry Cisna