[K12OSN] K12LTSP/K12Linux 'crusaders'

Patrick Fleming k12ltsp at rwcinc.net
Mon Mar 16 14:03:35 UTC 2009

James P. Kinney III wrote:

> So the "sale force" has to sell "installed seats" while not violating
> the spirit and letter of the GPL (which strictly forbids per seat
> licensing of the code!) by only selling a package of installed code with
> support - no exceptions. Add in a training program for existing school
> admins to start getting them up to speed on Linux and it might work.

You can sell per seat, per user, per server or whatever other method you
want to. There is nothing in the GPL that prevents this. RedHat does it,
Novell does it. The only thing the GPL prevents is lockout - if someone
wants the source, they get the source. I hope that I'm misunderstanding
your use of "strictly forbids per seat licensing"