[K12OSN] Perplexing Samba LDAP issue

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Mar 20 01:01:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Rob Owens <rowens at ptd.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:46:57AM -0500, R. Scott Belford wrote:
>> Aloha
>>
>> I am finding myself a bit stumped at the moment by the following error
>> when adding a user to a Centos 4 based samba/ldap/nfs server.
>>
>> [root at localhost ~]# smbldap-useradd alohak12osn
>> Error: context csn exists before context prefix does at
>> /usr/sbin//smbldap_tools.pm line 1187.
>>
>> Things had been fine until a power outage took down the server.  I had
>> to do DB recovery to restore LDAP to functionality, but it now seems
>> that something else is corrupted.  I've done some searching without
>> luck, yet.  I am hoping that one of you have seen or been stumped by
>> this before.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>>
> Just a wild guess:
>
> I googled csn and it looks like it's a timestamp of sorts.  Is your system time/date correct?
>
> The other thing I'd do is check ldap.conf, libnss-ldap.conf, pam_ldap.conf, and nsswitch.conf against your backups to see if they got corrupted.
>
> What does line 1187 of smbldap_tools.pm say?  Maybe that'll give some clues.

Aloha Rob

Thanks for the reply.  I went offline for the day.  Time and date are
correct, but, I'll start thinking along those lines.

It seems to be something UID related.  1187 is the 5th of the following 5 lines.

$nextuid = $entry->get_value($attribute);
        my $modify =
          $ldap->modify( "$config{sambaUnixIdPooldn}",
            changes => [ replace => [ $attribute => $nextuid + 1 ] ] );
        $modify->code && die "Error: ", $modify->error;

> -Rob

--scott