[K12OSN] Default iptables?

Patrick Fleming k12ltsp at rwcinc.net
Sat Mar 21 16:11:45 UTC 2009

Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since I'm remote from the server and only have SSH access I can follow
> your instructions on service iptables stop but is there a way to test
> if a terminal boots remotely?

Speaking from experience - you may not want to muck around with iptables
remotely. When you break it you will have to go down and visit the
console. In this case, I would reboot the server (I know Linux doesn't
really need to be rebooted except in certain situations, but this way
you know exactly what is running when it comes back up) Then check
iptables -L to see what the rules are, verify that you have forwarding on
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
should output "1"
or
sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward
should output net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

And last I would make sure that the interfaces are truly up.
ifconfig eth0, ifconfig eth1, etc. and see if you can ping at least one
hop out from the interface on the server.

The other thing - are you sure you got everything plugged back in right?