[K12OSN] how to ssh a TC

François Patte francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
Thu Mar 26 16:56:57 UTC 2009

Le 25/03/2009 23:37, Almquist Burke a écrit :
> IIRC, you need to install sshd in the chroot, set a password for the
> root user in the chroot, and allow root logins in the sshd.conf file in
> your chroot.

I did everything of this kind, *but* I remain unable to ssh a TC from
the server.

Strange behaviour:

bash-3.2# service sshd status
openssh-daemon is stopped

but if I try to ssh a TC, ssh is running:

bash-3.2# ssh root at 172.31.100.100
root at 172.31.100.100's password:
Permission denied, please try again.

So the password is not set. Then I try:

bash-3.2# passwd root
Changement de mot de passe pour l'utilisateur root.
Nouveau UNIX mot de passe :
Retapez le nouveau UNIX mot de passe :
passwd: Utilisateur inconnu par le module d'authentification sous-jacent

translation:

1- Change password for user root

2 New UNIX password

3- retype the password

After sometimes:

4- passwd: unknown user for the underlying authentication module

What does this mean?

Thanks for helping.

- --
François Patte