[K12OSN] Scary article from Russia (w/o love)

Moon moon at smbis.com
Tue May 19 21:07:02 UTC 2009

Linux client authentication, LDAP implementation, squidguard, any
application not in their contibs or howtos due to how they are
implemented through the templates. Some of the howtos and contribs are
way outdated and have issues with working properly on their current
version 7.4 for example. One case in point (and I have many more to
point out) is squidguard. The implementation on SME Server is actually
very limited and very outdated. I implemented squidguard on K12LTSP and
100% functionality, but couldn't get it to fully work on the SME Server
7.4 implementation, primarily due to the way it is implemented through
the templates and the outdated version used. I worked directly with the
developer of the squidguard howto and was not ever able to get it to
work because the version used just doesn't support Google SafeNet
scripting, not to mention other search engines and limited flexibility
with editing configuration. I worked with the developer of pfsense to
get squidguard capable of doing these things, but that developer was
using the latest release of squidguard.

BTW, the use of squid, squidguard, OpenDNS, and using SafeNet scripting
on search engines addresses about 95%+ of security needs for most
schools and definitely meets federal requirements.