[K12OSN] Anyone know how to solve this yum error?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 20:29:06 UTC 2009

Carl Keil wrote:
> I ran "yum clean all" and then "yum update" and obtained the following
> after all the downloading and transaction checking...
>
> Transaction Check Error:
> file /usr/lib/libgcrypt.so.11 from install of libgcrypt-1.4.4-5.el5.i386
> conflicts with file from package libgcrypt11-1.4.0-15.el5.i386
>
> I've tried googling many times and couldn't find any advice that helped
> with this problem.  How can I get my server to update?

I don't think I've seen anything about a problem like that.  How long
has it been since updates succeeded?

I'd try:
yum update glibc\*
yum update rpm\* yum\* python\*

and try again. If it still doesn't work, try:
yum install yum-downloadonly
yum --downloadonly install libgcrypt
then go find the downloaded rpm (somewhere under /var/cache/yum) and see
if you can get rpm to update it or at least get a sensible error message
about why this isn't a simple update.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com