[K12OSN] using really old PCs as clients

j.w. thomas jthomas at bittware.com
Mon Oct 12 19:44:26 UTC 2009

raju VK wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies. But even now my question is not properly
> answered. It is simply,  if I use a new network card with boot ROM,
> whether I can boot in to a network even if the boot options does not
> have an entry for network card as boot device.
>
>  From the replies I assume the answer is negative and the only option is
> to use a boot floppy.

If you install a boot ROM in the ethernet card, the BIOS should find it
and execute it on start up.  It has been years since I have done this,
but I'm pretty sure I used the stuff supplied by rom-o-matic.  Or was it
etherboot?  Maybe both!

jthomas at bittware.com  http://www.bittware.com    (603) 226-0404 x536
The secret to enjoying your job is to have a hobby that's even worse
   - Calvin's Dad