[K12OSN] Adobe Flash

Brian Fristensky bfristen at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 3 12:14:37 UTC 2009

j.w. thomas wrote:
> I'm running K12LTSP-EL5-64 (The 64-bit Centos-based version) in a
> one-room multi-grade school.  The teacher wants to send some of the kids
> to a flash-based website while she instructs others, but for the life of
> me, I cannot seem to get Flash working.
>
> I went to adobe and followed their instructions (which is where the wiki
> directs me anyhow).  I did a "yum update flash-plugin" and everything
> was peaches.

Since you don't mention it at this point, here's what worked on my system
using Seamonkey:

cd /usr/lib64/seamonkey-1.1.17/plugins
ln -s  /usr/local/lib64/libflashplayer.so

Firefox doesn't have a plugins directory, but you might try making the
link in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins.

> The next step is to verify that the plug-in is installed
> by pointing Firefox to about:plugins.  But there is no joy there.  FF
> reports no plugins at all.
>
> Almost everything I find about flash for K12LTSP has to do with getting
> sound to work, and almost nothing about getting flash itself to work.
> Maybe that will be useful next week...
>
> I also tried the 64-bit version of flash, but got exactly the same
> result for my efforts: nothing.
>
> I update FF to the latest in the Centos repo (some minor rev to version
> 3), and was met with the same result.
>
> Help!

Brian Fristensky
971 Somerville Avenue