[K12OSN] setting quotas per user to solve our slow login process

Gideon Romm ltsp at symbio-technologies.com
Fri Sep 11 16:38:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-11 at 10:25 -0400, Daniel Howard wrote:
> Dan Young wrote:
> > Sounds like:
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ltsp/+bug/357268
> >
> > If you're not using localapps, you can test to see if this is the bug by:
> >
> > cd /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/ldm/rc.d/
> > mv X01-localapps oldX01-localapps
> >
> > Then reboot your terminal.
> Thanks Dan.  We tried it to no avail.  This seems like a bug because we
> switched a server back to K12LTSP and had 1000+ accounts up, no problem,
> boot up in seconds.  Unfortunately that is likely to be the solution for
> the time being until we can resolve the large number of accounts/slow
> bootup issue with K12Linux, or anyone can suggest other avenues for us
> to explore.  Thanks, Daniel

Daniel,

K12LTSP is based on LTSP5, which uses ssh to login to the server.  Can
you test to see if running:  ssh -Y user at server  from another box takes
a long time?

If so, then add "-vvv" to the ssh command line, like:  ssh -vvv -Y
user at server

This will make ssh verbose and you will see at what point it hangs.

By default, sshd on the server runs through several authentication
mechanisms, and if it takes earlier/unused ones time to fail, you'll
feel it.  You can optimize things by identifying the one that fails and
turning it off in the sshd_config file.  A common one I have seen is:
GSSAPIAuthentication

Sometimes, setting that to "no" will speed up ssh logins a great deal.

-Gadi

Gideon Romm | Proud LTSP Developer
ltsp at symbio-technologies.com

Pay It Forward!
Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM + Symbiont Boot Stick = $275
10% of order goes to school or open source project of your choice!

Buy yourself a lab or office and use your donation to set up a school,
pay for a desperately needed feature added to a software package,
or sponsor part of LTSP's annual developer's conference LTSP-by-the-sea!

Check out:  http://www.symbio-technologies.com/payitforward