[K12OSN] Users can't login

Brian Fristensky bfristen at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 7 02:13:47 UTC 2010

Gideon Romm wrote:
> You should get yourself a shell on the thin client (either by setting
> SCREEN_02=shell, SCREEN_07=ldm
This gives me a command prompt on screen 2 on the thin client, but doesn't
permit login by anyone

OR by setting a root password in the
> chroot and switching to the console after boot)
>
> Then, try: ssh user at server
> from the shell.

Yes, it was necessary to use passwd to assign root a
password in the chroot, and then rebuild the image.

Now, on the thin client, I can switch to screen 2 and login to
the thin client as root.

At this point, I can run a command line session. From the thin client,
I can login
to the server via ssh. But if I try to ssh from the server to the
client, I get the message

ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.116 port 22: Connection refused

NOW HERE'S THE INTERESTING THING:

After logging in as root on the thin client, I can type

X -query 192.168.1.103 :1

And get the graphic GDM user chooser, which lets me login as any
user and run a full GNOME session on the server which displays
on the thin client.

This would almost be satisfactory if I could tunnel through ssh, but
of course, sound and local devices USB devices won't work this way.
But as Barry said in a previous, I must be very very close to getting
LTSP to work.

> If you get prompted with an "Are you sure?" or an "invalid key"
> message, then your ssh keys are not in fact making it over - perhaps
> you inadvertantly have a /root/.ssh/known_hosts file in your chroot
> which you should not have?
I checked. This file does not exist on the thin client.
The thin client does have an /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts file.

> Otherwise, if it is not a key issue, it could also be a compiz issue.
> Disable or remove compiz from the server and try logging in again.

I'm not familiar with compiz, but a quick Google search indicates that
it looks like some sort of 3D rendering environment. How do I know
if compiz is enabled, and if so, how would I disable it?

Brian Fristensky
971 Somerville Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3T 1B4 CANADA
bfristen at shaw.ca