[K12OSN] Recommended Gigabit Network card?

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 21:47:38 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

Well it seems the issue has been resolved on its own!  I finally was
able to crack one of the machines open, and lo-and-behold, it already
had a gigabit card on-board!

Specifically the Intel 82573E gigabit NIC (more info:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=26550 ).  Granted it doesn't
support Jumbo frames, but that would be looking the gift-horse in the
mouth :)

I guess I never expected that we'd get freely donated machines at the
level of having onboard gigabit so I was assuming the worst. These
machines are a bit more powerful than I thought -- Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz,
1 GB RAM, 250 GB SATA drives, gigabit NIC, onboard Intel 945 g/p
graphics AND an installed ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB video card with DVI
output. New keyboards, mice, and 19" NEC LCDs to go with them!

So now that the gigabit issue has been resolved, the next issue to ask is:
1) Which video card to use? Onboard Intel or ATI card?
2) With such a machine, would it be beneficial to run something
locally? Firefox perhaps?

I'm currently running K12LTSP based on Fedora 10

Thanks
Joseph