[K12OSN] Flash sound gone?

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Wed Aug 10 15:49:20 UTC 2011

My 64 bit SL6 LTSP system had working Flash for a while.  I think it was
32 bit Flash 10 with a wrapper running in 64 bit Firefox.  Anyway, for
whatever reason sound suddenly stopped working.  So I tried upgrading to
the version 11 64 bit native flash player from Adobe.  Again, video
works fine but still no audio -- either on the server console or the
thin client.

PulseAudio seems fine, as paplay works on both the server and the
client.  However, aplay returns:

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:660: audio open error: Device or resource busy

so if flash is trying to use alsa that might be the problem.  I have the
following alsa stuff installed:

rpm -qa | grep alsa
alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-24.el6.x86_64
alsa-oss-1.0.17-4.el6.x86_64
alsa-lib-1.0.24.1-35.el6.x86_64
alsa-oss-libs-1.0.17-4.el6.x86_64
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.21-3.el6.x86_64

and I don't have any asoundrc files anywhere.

Any ideas how to get sound going again?

Thanks,

Jeff