[K12OSN] EL6 32bit kernel-thinclient config

Warren Togami Jr. warren at togami.com
Wed Aug 10 20:31:24 UTC 2011

On 8/10/2011 6:00 AM, Gideon Romm wrote:
> The PXE code in the BIOS is only IPv4 aware. An IPv6 LTSP solution
> will necessarily rely on something other than PXE for booting.
>
> I am sure gPXE is most likely working on IPv6 support (if they don't
> have it already), but if you are to rely on the PXE code that ships
> with most machines by default, you will be limited to IPv4.
>
> That said, having the possibility in the OS might still be welcome,
> both for alternative boot methods and in case you want to boot from an
> IPv4 segment but have the OS use IPv6 once booted.
>
> -Gadi

Indeed you have it right.  In any case, I figured out that I cannot
easily disable IPv6 because it causes the heavily hacked-up EL6 kernel
to fail to build.

kernel-thinclient.i686 is now in the Private Beta repo.  It enables NBD,
disables PAE, and shrinks the initramfs size from 16.7MB to 13.8MB.  I
think I can shrink the initramfs size more not by excluding more modules
from the kernel build, but rather tweaking dracut's configuration that
is including so many rarely needed kernel modules just-in-case they
might be needed to boot something.

Warren