[K12OSN] OT: Authentication server options

A new charter school is opening this fall and has asked us (Newark
Charter) to help set up their IT infrastructure. At NCS we used the
samba+ldap roll our own approach for authentication. It has worked
quite well. However, I'm considering using Active Directory + winbind
instead but I'm not sure of all the pros/cons of this approach. Will
it be transparent for logging onto thin clients? There will be a
dedicated linux-based (CentOS) file server for home directories. Will
home directories work as expected for the linux users?

I appreciate any insights and recommendations on this.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School