[K12OSN] HELP NEEDED NOW: Need Documentation Testing and Feedback

Dean Jones dean.jones at oregonstate.edu
Fri Aug 12 23:13:42 UTC 2011

On 8/12/11 12:29 AM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
> On 8/11/2011 8:52 PM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
>> On 8/11/2011 9:42 AM, Dean Jones wrote:
>>> Client will PXE boot and hit TFTP properly but my old thin clients don't
>>> like the kernel so I need to work on building a custom one for the
>>> chroot.
>>
>> I created a solution for you.
>>
>> Upgrade to ltsp-server-5.2.17 then run:
>> ltsp-build-client --release 11
>>
>> You will have a Fedora 11 i586 chroot that is a bit old, but much newer
>> than RHEL5 which was based on Fedora 6.
>>
>> Does this work for your old thin clients?
>>
>> Warren
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/InstallGuide
> I updated this page to explain in detail the three /opt/ltsp/i386 chroot
> install options.
>
> Dean, you have some kind of deployment with multiple parallel /opt/ltsp
> chroots?  Did you make a custom dhcpd.conf for this?  It would help the
> community if you could provide examples for this page for those who want
> parallel chroots for different clients.

Sure I have a couple of different chroots going now.  The standard EL6
release plus the release 11 for the old hardware, and some old scary
legacy ones.

For each chroot, the first step is to do the client build command but
specify a chroot name other than the default.  Or in my case i left the
EL6 release in the standard i386 location and release 11 in a
specifically named one.

ltsp-build-client   (build the standard chroot)
ltsp-build-client --chroot i386-thin --release 11  (non-standard)

In the /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf file I have the standard release as the
default.  So i uncomment or create a group entry at the bottom of the
config and specify non-standard hosts by mac address.  For each host set
"option root-path" to point to the proper nfs or nbd server and
"filename" to the proper tftpboot tree.

    host ws504 {
         hardware ethernet       00:50:41:03:9F:6B;
         fixed-address         172.31.100.74;
# for NBD
	 option root-path "nbd:172.31.100.254:2001:squashfs:ro";
          filename      "/ltsp/i386-thin/pxelinux.0";
# for NFS
#        option root-path "172.31.100.254:/opt/ltsp/i386-thin";
}

for additional NBD image serving:
cp /etc/xinetd.d/nbdroot /etc/xinetd.d/nbdroot2 and edit nbdroot2 to set
it to a different port (2001?) and point to the path of the second
chroot image, in my case
server_args = /opt/ltsp/images/i386-thin.img
/etc/init.d/ltsp-dhcpd restart
/etc/init.d/xinetd restart

ltsp-update-sshkeys
ltsp-update-kernels
ltsp-update-image

then I also had to:
rsync -avu /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/pxe*
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386-thin/

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.