[K12OSN] Test NBD Root?

Warren Togami Jr. warren at togami.com
Sun Aug 14 22:02:24 UTC 2011

On 8/12/2011 8:15 AM, Burke Almquist wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2011, at 2:53 AM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
>
>> https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/NBDRootConfiguration
>>
>> Could someone please test if the NBD Root boot documentation still works?
>>
>> Warren
>>

> My Optiplex GX1 (PIII 450 192MB) works out of the box as a client on a fresh install of SL6.1. Even the network setup seemed to work fine for me.
> When I enable NBD root instead of NFS, it gets to the login screen fine. But when I try to log in, it keeps going back to the login screen again.
> Does NBD require more memory to work?

Strange... on my system, the EL6.1 chroot with NBD boot gets stuck after:
Adding udev persistent rules                                [  OK  ]

If you boot NFS the next visible thing there is starting the NBD swap,
so I tried to turn off NBD swap with no apparent effect.

I don't know what's going on.  I will dig more later.

Warren