Re: [K12OSN] Need advice on recovering from failed boot disk

On 8/15/2011 10:28 AM, Carl Keil wrote:

Anyway, now I'm looking for a little more philosophical advice. I used
to run k12ltsp on this server, but don't any more. Now it's a
web/samba/mythtv box for my home. If it was you, and your old k12-centos
5.3 box ate it, but you had homes, web root, samba shares and your
mythtv shows on separate drives, (and many complete backups via
BackupPC) would you take the opportunity to upgrade to centos 5.6 or 6.0
or would you try to get back to 5.3 so you didn't break all that stuff
via new versions of php, mysql, samba (prolly not an issue) and mythtv?
What's the smart move here? Also, do you think there'll be a problem
going to 64 bit, when the old install was 32 bit? I can't see why that
would be an issue since basically I'm restoring functionality to content
that I saved. If I go, for example from 32-bit Centos 5.3 to 64-bit
Centos 6 will I still just be able to restore my /etc config files from
backup and proceed on my merry way? Or will I have to go into each one
and cut and paste relevant sections into new config files with differing
formats, places on the drive, etc.

The first bit of advice would be to install on RAID1 mirrors if it holds your only copy of something, but backups are still important... If you are happy with the current functionality, installing a 32-bit 5.6 is probably the fastest way to get back in operation. There might be a surprise or two in the config files between 5.3 and 5.6 (which you deserve for not doing timely 'yum updates' but I'd expect it to be easily fixed. The switch to 6.0 would be more drastic and at this point you might as well wait for 6.1 and its fixes. Mythtv sounds like the only thing not from the standard repositories, so make sure you can get that working again first.

Also, How do you tell if your hardware should get a 64 bit centos or
not? I'm not positive about my system. I think it's a Pentium D dual
core. Obviously I'd check for sure before proceeding. But what's
considered the minimum CPU that actually works with 64 bit Centos?

Boot from live or rescue media to a point where you can run 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' and look for 'lm' in the flags. The other interesting flag is 'vmx' (intel) or 'svm' (amd) which will tell you if it can run a 64-bit guest as a virtual machine. Some processors can run 64 bit natively but not virtualize them.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com