Re: [K12OSN] Need advice on recovering from failed boot disk

On 08/15/2011 03:56 PM, David Hopkins wrote:
I would upgrade to 5.6. I just installed a system using CentOS6. It
installs ok but there are a number of changes in how to administer the
system. In my case, I noticed that simple GUI utilities like
system-config-bind-gui and system-config-network are no longer
supported. Also, yumex doesn't seem to work quite right (crashes).  If
you're ok with either letting Network manager automagically set things
or enjoy manually configuring the network interfaces and the DNS zone
info then 6 isn't so bad. However, RHEL/CentOS5 is supported till 2017
(I think) which is quite long enough to build a test system to learn
the in-and-outs of 6 before using it for production.

Important correction: CentOS5 has already ended full updates. All updates, including maintenance, will end March 31st 2014.

http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS5

CentOS6 will reach EOL on 30 Nov 2017.

Jeff