Re: [K12OSN] configuration questions

I can report having seen a teaching lab full of SunRays,
in which the server ran CentOS, not Solaris.  (CentOS is a spin of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux, very similar to Scientific Linux.)
That at least tells us that SunRay server is available for Linux, but I don't know if
that has been open-sourced or not.

The SunRays had full sound and USB capability and worked quite well.

Warren is correct in that LTSP is probably not going to work on a SunRay.

For what it's worth, the only thing I have in my office at work is a SunRay, and I do
everything on our university Sun Solaris system. For my money, it's better
than having a computer in my office.

Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
I am not familiar with 2fs specifically, but if I understand Sun Ray, the X server doesn't run on the clients themselves. The clients have a proprietary Sunray remote desktop protocol to a Sun server where the X servers run. In the past I've used a Sparc Solaris server solely as the Sunray X servers, to XDMCP into a Linux LTSP terminal server. It mostly worked, without sound and remote USB. Had some difficulties with fonts.

Warren