From: Brian Fristensky <bfristen shaw ca>
To: Support list for open source software in schools. <k12osn redhat com>
Sent: Thu, August 25, 2011 5:44:22 AM
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] configuration questions

I can report having seen a teaching lab full of SunRays,
in which the server ran CentOS, not Solaris.  (CentOS is a spin of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux, very similar to Scientific Linux.)
That at least tells us that SunRay server is available for Linux, but I don't know if
that has been open-sourced or not.

The SunRays had full sound and USB capability and worked quite well.

Warren is correct in that LTSP is probably not going to work on a SunRay.

For what it's worth, the only thing I have in my office at work is a SunRay, and I do
everything on our university Sun Solaris system. For my money, it's better
than having a computer in my office.

Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
> I am not familiar with 2fs specifically, but if I understand Sun Ray, the X server doesn't run on the clients themselves.  The clients have a proprietary Sunray remote desktop protocol to a Sun server where the X servers run.  In the past I've used a Sparc Solaris server solely as the Sunray X servers, to XDMCP into a Linux LTSP terminal server.  It mostly worked, without sound and remote USB.  Had some difficulties with fonts.
>
> Warren
>
> On 8/24/2011 4:59 AM, Dean Jones wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think the Sun Ray 2fs clients are MIPS processor based and not
>> likely to work with k12 LTSP without a lot of work.
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 10:08 PM, xbc bojali<bojali yahoo com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok I am a new  to this so I thought it would be a good idea to get some feed
>>> back. I am starting  the conversion for my kids to k12lltsp.  I have 3 Sun
>>> Ray 2FS Virtual Display Clients that I want to use for the thin clients, I
>>> have just bought a HP Quad core to build as the host/server for them.  What
>>> is the Easiest way to build these? I started with Scientific Linux i86_64
>>> but was not able to get the  ltsp-server-tweaks, to work. And then read from
>>> Rolands posts that i might need to use the 32bit not the 64?
>>> any help would be appreciated. I just started this yesterday!
>>> jim

Brian Fristensky
971 Somerville Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3T 1B4 CANADA