[K12OSN] SL 6.1 NFS client for FC 14, performance issues?

Roland Roberts roland at astrofoto.org
Fri Aug 26 20:24:08 UTC 2011

Up until recently, my network was all Fedora 14. However, I turned on
machine into SL 6.1 to act as an LTSP server. After doing so, I've run
into some odd NFS performance issues.  They show up as simply slow
performance when doing builds, and I can't track down why. This is not
really an LTSP issue, but I thought I'd check here since I thought
people here might be more likely to have a larger heterogeneous network
than the Fedora groups.  I'll probably post there as well to see if
anyone can give me some clues.

For example, I when I did an RPM build of the 64-bit Sun Java 1.6.0.26
package, it consistently takes 16-18 minutes when running on my LTSP
server from my home directory with my NFS mounted home directory. The
NFS server shows no significant load, the client (which is the LTSP
server) also shows little load but top report about 50% wait times.

If I run the build using a directory local to the LTSP server, the time
drops to 2-3 minutes.

The LTSP server is a Core2 Quad 3.0 GHz host running SL 6.1. The NFS
server is a Core2 Quad 2.4 GHz running Fedora 14

I have a second Core2 Quad 3.0 GHz host running SL 6.1.  If I do the
same set of tests there, the local file system build drops to under a
minute, and the NFS build to 2-3 minutes. Clearly I get a performance
hit going over the network, but the hit on the SL 6.1 LTSP server is
rough to take.

Does anyone here use NFS extensively for the LTSP and have encountered
any performance problems?

roland

--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD