[K12OSN] SL 6.1 NFS client for FC 14, performance issues?

Roland Roberts roland at astrofoto.org
Fri Aug 26 21:28:07 UTC 2011

On 08/26/2011 05:09 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> Tuning NFS is an art form. First make sure to use v4. The block sizes
> need tweaks to max throughputs. There may also need to be a kernel
> param tweaked but I'm not near my notes.

I'm trying to figure out a good tool for testing. I tried the simple dd
if=/dev/zero .... but I get amazingly fast speeds with that. Of course,
that could me its directory ops that are killing me, not raw write speeds.

> > The LTSP server is a Core2 Quad 3.0 GHz host running SL 6.1. The NFS
> > server is a Core2 Quad 2.4 GHz running Fedora 14
> >
> > I have a second Core2 Quad 3.0 GHz host running SL 6.1. If I do the

Oops, that was supposed to say, "...running Fedora 14...". This was my
control with Fedora client/Fedora server.

> > same set of tests there, the local file system build drops to under a
> > minute, and the NFS build to 2-3 minutes. Clearly I get a performance
> > hit going over the network, but the hit on the SL 6.1 LTSP server is
> > rough to take.

roalnd

--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD