Re: [K12OSN] SL 6.1 NFS client for FC 14, performance issues?

On 08/26/2011 05:09 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:

Tuning NFS is an art form. First make sure to use v4. The block sizes need tweaks to max throughputs. There may also need to be a kernel param tweaked but I'm not near my notes.

I'm trying to figure out a good tool for testing. I tried the simple dd if=/dev/zero .... but I get amazingly fast speeds with that. Of course, that could me its directory ops that are killing me, not raw write speeds.

> The LTSP server is a Core2 Quad 3.0 GHz host running SL 6.1. The NFS
> server is a Core2 Quad 2.4 GHz running Fedora 14
>
> I have a second Core2 Quad 3.0 GHz host running SL 6.1. If I do the

Oops, that was supposed to say, "...running Fedora 14...". This was my control with Fedora client/Fedora server.

> same set of tests there, the local file system build drops to under a
> minute, and the NFS build to 2-3 minutes. Clearly I get a performance
> hit going over the network, but the hit on the SL 6.1 LTSP server is
> rough to take.

roalnd

--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland rlenter com                            6818 Madeline Court