Re: [K12OSN] SL 6.1 NFS client for FC 14, performance issues?

On 08/26/2011 05:41 PM, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Jim Kinney<jim kinney gmail com>  wrote:
Tuning NFS is an art form. First make sure to use v4. The block sizes need
tweaks to max throughputs. There may also need to be a kernel param tweaked
but I'm not near my notes.

Are you sure? The advice I see is to use v3. I have been using v3 in
F11 and F13 with no problems. I haven't used v4 yet though.

I think 4 is the default on F14 and EL6.x. I see it reported as available in rpcinfo -s. I was trying to see if there was some magic to force a version or prevent certain versions from running on the server to be sure of what's being used, but I can't find it. According to the docs, the version is negotiated starting at 4 and working down.

Here is a nice page about nfs optimizations.
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ar01s05.html

I was staring at it even as your message arrived :-)
also use no_subtree_check in /etc/exports

I did add this earlier today and looked to see what cruft I might have in my auto.home map. I keep bouncing the daemon on another exported filesystem so I can test. be happy with factor of 2 difference between local and nfs, but that factor of 6 is hurting.

I'll try a few things and report back.

roland

--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland rlenter com                            6818 Madeline Court