Re: [K12OSN] New EL6 install

Jomegat wrote:
On 08/26/2011 04:53 PM, Luis Montes wrote:
Have either of you guys tried Chrome on the thin clients yet? This is
the main reason I want to update to SL6 or Centos6.
Luis

I have not. It's a little too scary for me to have Google inside my browser. It's one thing when they collect your data when you visit their site. It's another when they collect it when you visit any site.

Don't get me wrong - I think that what Chrome is doing for the browser now is what Firefox did five-ten years ago. Ever since they released it, all browsers have been focusing on speed - competition is good.

Well, I like it as a browser even when I don't sign into a google account. It's V8 javascript engine is amazing. The HTML5 stuff is gonna make flash obsolete. And I'm somehow, someway, someday, gonna get WebGL working on thin clients that have an openGL capable GPU.

So I built a Centos6 server in vmware and a pxeclient as well. Ran the K12Linux setup, configured the bridge to be the host-only network. PXE client booted up!

Then, I decided to follow the https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/LocalAppsSupport guide to get firefox running. Firefox runs, but seems like localapp networking is broken for me. I think I have to fix some routing so that I can NAT through the ltsp server or something like that. Or maybe just kill the bridge and make the new ltsp server my dhcp server for the whole network.

Tuxpaint also installed without any issue. The younger kids are gonna love having this as a local app.

Next, I got the i386 version of Chrome installed. The rpm had some dependencies that I was able to fix with yum. The one that took a while to figure out was libXss.so. Apparently that one is bundled in libXScrnSvr which yum was ok with installing.

Chrome is showing a bunch of stuff accelerated in about:gpu at least in my vmware client. Can't wait to try this out on real hardware.

Long story short: Warren is doing an incredible job with this stuff. Good times ahead for LTSP!

Luis