Re: [K12OSN] Local Apps and Firefox 6

On 08/28/2011 02:10 PM, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Jomegat<jomegat jomegat com>  wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to run Firefox as a local application and I'm looking for some
advice.  First I tried following the instructions at
https://fedorahosted.org/k12linux/wiki/LocalAppsSupport

Not 100% sure as I can't verify this. It's been a while, but check if
/proc  is mounted inside the chroot. I think you used to have to

mount  /proc

inside the chroot before you do yum install.

If that helped, it didn't help enough:

[root termserv ~]# cd /opt/ltsp/i386/
[root termserv i386]# setarch i386 chroot .
bash-4.1# mount /proc
bash-4.1# yum install firefox
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: epel. Please verify its path and try again
bash-4.1#

but when I got to the yum part, there was no joy:

[root termserv i386]# setarch i386 chroot .
bash-4.1# yum install firefox
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
epel. Please verify its path and try again

I thought - maybe I need to run ltsp-server-tweaks, since I do not recall
having run that when I last rebooted (but everything seemed to work then,
so... I dunno?)

Here's what happens when I try running that:
[root termserv ~]# ltsp-server-tweaks
Failed to access configuration source(s): Failed to contact configuration
server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking
for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See
http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Not running
within active session)

Hmmm.  Not sure what all that means.

I tried all this while remotely logged in, as Tropical Storm Irene might
make it a bit dodgy to get to the school (or get home afterwards).  I don't
think that's significant, but just in case it is, I'm disclosing it here.

My next thought was that maybe I should try FF 6 instead of 3.6 (which is
what yum will install).  Is there a reason I should avoid that?

Thanks in advance!

--
Jim Thomas            jomegat jomegat com
Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!