Re: [K12OSN] when running ltsp-server-tweaks

gconftool-2 requires that the gconfd be runing. But as a non-root user, you can't edit the /etc/gconf file space. So....

boot the server but DON'T login at the gui screen. Instead, hit ctl-alt-f2 and get a normal terminal shell instead. Login as root.

now run: telinit 3

This will stop the X login process

now run startx

And you'll (eventually) get a X screen (and a scary warning that you're logged in as root.., bad things.., fire breathing dragons, etc). _NOW_ open a terminal window and run the ltsp-server-tweaks command and it will not barf errors.

log out of the X session and run telinit 5 to restart the normal X login screen

alt-f7 should put you back on the correct screen for X. Login as a normal user. Open a terminal and run gconf-editor
and look under desktop->gnome->lockdown and you should see that "disable_user_switching" is now checked. If you try and uncheck it, you'll get an error message that it's not writeable.

Yay!