[K12OSN] pxe wifi k12ltsp

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 15:50:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Barry Cisna <cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Call me nuts.
> Has anyone thought of any ideas on integrating pxe into either the bios
> of a TC mobo to interface with the onboard wifi chip or possibly an usb
> wifi dongle and dump pxe firmware onto it?
> I would think someone smarter than I have thought of this
> implementation.
> Here is what my insane idea is:
>
> 1) wifi firmware that on boot searches for any open AP then
> transparently connects to 'strongest signal' AP.
> 1a) at this point the wifi interface has obtained a valid ip for the
> lan.
> 2) once connected to an ip address the pxe boot standard kicks in.
> 3) k12ltsp boots as though it is wired
>
> #4) The above could be a boot sequence option for example in the bios
> setup.Possibly labeled ' wifi/pxe' boot,,,:)
>
> I know everyone will say wireless TC's will be a slug,but it does seem
> that this scenario should be possible,for someone that is familiar with
> hacking bios/firmware images. This is of course AFTER spending countless
> hours and all nighters making it actually happen.
> Flame suit on...

If usb dongles are in the picture, why not just boot puppy linux or
something similar and hook up to the server once you get that far?
Running the NX cliient with freenx on the server would give good wifi
performance - and the ability to reconnect to your session if you move
out of range and lose the connection.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com