[K12OSN] Any New K12LTSP deployments

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Tue Jan 18 16:05:26 UTC 2011

On 01/17/2011 03:18 PM, Tim Born wrote:
> On 1/17/11 1:18 PM, Jeff Siddall wrote:
>

>> Perhaps start by letting them know that the power savings obtained from
>> switching from a typical desktop PCs to typical fanless thin clients
>> will pay for the entire system -- all $10,000 -- in the next 5 years!
>>
>> Jeff
>
> My knee-jerk reaction to that statement was "no way!".  Then I dug up my
> kill-a-watt and measured some of my clients.  The worst one costs me
> $190/yr in electricity (assuming 7x24).  That would put Jeff's statement
> well within reach across 30 machines & 5 years.
>
> -tim

Yeah, perhaps I should have done the math in my original post.
Depending on the scenario the payback can be a _lot_ faster.  Here's a
sample:

Typical desktop PC power consumption: 100 W
Fanless thin client (Intel D410PT) power consumption: 24 W
Cost of thin client: $143*
Cost of electricity: $0.11/kWh (conveniently this works out to $1 per
watt per year so you can impress people by doing the math in your head!)
Cost of electricity per year (24/7) for desktop PC: $100
Cost of electricity per year (24/7) for thin client: $24
Electricity saving per year (24/7) per thin client: $76

Client payback time on electricity savings: 1.9 years

...and that doesn't include the HVAC savings etc.

With numbers like that (not to mention the "green" reasons) there is
really no business case for using/re-using fat desktops as clients.

* Here's the parts for the thin client ($19+$54+$70 = $143):
http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_details.php?pid=59176
http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_details.php?pid=61979
http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_details.php?pid=54088

Jeff