[K12OSN] Fresh Install on Dell PowerEdge T110

Alan Hodson aahodson at episd.org
Sat Mar 19 01:43:08 UTC 2011

Greetings

Colleagues in the K12 environ might have been enjoying a well-deserved restful week while some of us took time to try and wrench some money back from Uncle Sam and catch up in projects such a "fresh install" on a new T110.

After several frustrating tries with Centos 5.5 x86-64 and K12LTSP 5.0OEL 64 Bit I decided to go back to the K12Linux X86-64 stable4 disk, the Fedora10 install. (Hope I got those names right - several CD/DVDs ended up far away from the server!)

This last install was rather uneventful, except for the fact that after installing Webmin to do a user batch install, the 330 names I tried entering did not take, and after much googling and trial and error I had to enter them by hand!

The loading time is very slow (about 80 seconds per client), but once loaded they are a beauty. I will be using old reliable Symbio-Technologies TCs for a cluster of 20 units at one of our middle schools.

I wonder if folks in the group have had similar experiences, and what the work-arounds have been.

Cheers

Alan A Hodson MEd.
Instructional Applications Analyst
El Paso Independent School District
oF: 915-887-6871 fX: 915-772-4016 Nxt:915-892-0389
aahodson at episd.org - http://links.episd.org/
Open Source Proponent - http://tinyurl.com/3e4sh8

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away
-=o=-