[K12OSN] New Building's LTSP Server

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Wed May 4 15:51:45 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 10:31 AM, John Oligario wrote:
> I myself have never been inclined to use a non-server board for anything
> other than a workstation. This system will be in the background however
> it will be a workhorse needing to be alive at any and all times around
> the clock. It does not have to be a powerful processor, just solid. The
> case should have removable cooling fans and dual power supplies each
> attached to a separate ups.
> Just my preference. a few hundred dollars can save thousands later.

Agreed with John, you want a solid machine, and to some extent the more
you spend the better your uptime will be.  Just keep in mind though that
using server-grade hardware will not make things bullet proof.  ECC RAM
does not guarantee your memory won't be corrupted, and almost every
component is a single point of failure (RAM, CPU, motherboard etc.).
You really need to have a standby server if you don't want an extended
outage at some point in your life.  If you are using server grade
hardware now you probably looking at thousands more dollars than desktop
grade.