[K12OSN] New Building's LTSP Server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:19:49 UTC 2011

On 5/5/2011 12:53 PM, Jeff Siddall wrote:

> A decent _new_ desktop system has more than 10X the performance, more
> than 10X the storage and likely 4X the RAM of that server.  Getting a
> server that can keep up with that performance will cost $$$ thousands.

An ltsp server is sort-of a special case where you need the CPU
performance because you are running the client desktops and apps (unless
you have local apps) and you also need disk reliability.  I think there
is a case for using an older, slower but sever-class (dual power
supplies, hardware raid, etc.) machine as an NFS and authentication
server with one or more fast desktop machines (lots of RAM but otherwise
cheap) acting as the ltsp servers - and being mostly interchangeable or
even disposable.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com