[K12OSN] Computer lab needed in Elementary school?

Thu May 5 20:26:40 UTC 2011

> > Yes this seems to be the way people at the top are thinking these
> > days. The trend is towards having wireless and a personal device
> > per
> > student, be it laptops or otherwise.
>
> If that is what they are thinking that's going to have major
> repercussions on us as you can't use LTSP over wireless and we can't
> afford to purchase, nor charge the students for some sort of personal
> device.

My favorite school, RMSEL in Denver, has been using wireless netbooks with some success. Instead of building another computer lab, they bought a locking cart and filled it with power strips and netbooks. The kids take the net-books out and just use them. If they need to save something, they email it using their account on the school's Zimbra server. They can access the LTSP environment from the netbook using VNC if they want to get to "their normal desktop".