[K12OSN] New Building's LTSP Server

Phydeaux reb at taco.com
Thu May 5 23:13:24 UTC 2011

> Joe, you are mistaken. I'm about to build some fax servers (don't ask) and
> I'm looking at $199.00 servers. For example:
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DL380-XEON3200X2-4R&cat=SVR
>
> There's a lot of good cheap hardware out there. If I were to make one of
> those baies into an LTSP server, I'd add a SATA controller and external
> SATA drives. YMMV.

I'd agree.  Our school has 15 workstations. The server has two SATA drives
(one for backup) 6gb of RAM and a four core AMD CPU (I think we get far
better bang for our buck with AMD).  The whole server machine cost about
$350.  The kids bang on it with OpenOffice and Firefox all day long and
I have never heard a complaint about performance.

reb