[K12OSN] New thin client recommendations

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon May 9 15:40:59 UTC 2011

On 5/9/2011 9:58 AM, Jeff Siddall wrote:

>>> Hmmm... Not sure about edubuntu but I always found Ubuntu's kernels were
>>> awfully old -- really that is the main reason I went to Fedora in the
>>> first place!
>>
>> I've always looked at kernels as standardized interfaces to hardware and
>> don't see much reason to change until the hardware is replace with
>> something unsupported (other than bug fixes which are more likely to be
>> done correctly for old versions than new ones that will bring new bugs).
>>   What new kernel features can't you live without?
>
> Exactly: "..the hardware is replace with something unsupported..."
>
> Ubuntu didn't have the drivers for my hardware whereas Fedora did.
> Simple as that.
>
> In this case the issue was xorg drivers, but I have also had issues with
> video capture/decoded cards, LAN cards, wireless cards, touchscreens etc.

I gave up the 'install new versions every week' game that fedora plays
long ago, but back when I tried to keep up (and before their
ever-changing kernel simply wouldn't boot after a mid-version update on
the fairly mainstream IBM box I used for testing), I had the impression
that ubuntu and fedora regularly leapfrogged each other so that which
you considered newer or having better hardware support would depend on
which one had just done the most recent release (or just fixed the bug
that affected your specific hardware in the earlier versions they were
shipping...).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com