[K12OSN] Plans for K12Linux EL6 and Future Fedora

Terrell Prude' Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu May 12 03:16:27 UTC 2011

Jeff Siddall wrote:
> On 05/11/2011 06:20 PM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
>
>> On 5/11/2011 12:15 PM, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> i686 is considered to be:
>>>
>>> * "Pentium Pro or later"
>>> * "AMD K6 (but not all) or later"
>>> * "Via C7" or later
>>> * Geode LX, but not Geode GX
>>>
>> OK, Geode LX may not be supported either, likely due to the userspace
>> libraries being built with certain compiler flags.
>>
>> Warren
>>

> I guess my "lowly" Atom clients are screamers compared to some people's
> old junk but can't those people with really ancient hardware just stick
> with K12LTSP (LTSP4)?  Anyone running K12Linux has already had to deal
> with the lack of i586 support for a number of years now.
>
> Even if new clients were required to keep things running for another
> seven years (is that really so bad?), it's literally a matter of $86 per
> machine to get an 1.66 GHz Atom D410 and 1 GB DDR2 RAM from newegg.com.
>  Some searching could probably find some even cheaper options.
>
> Jeff

Frankly, K12LTSP 5EL is still doing the job for me.  I have no real
reason to upgrade, given my needs, and I doubt that most offices do, either.

As Les Mikesell said, Eric Harrison is a tough act to follow.  Warren,
nobody in their right mind would blame you for not wanting to do this
anymore.  If you do, though, then you're a saint.

--TP