[K12OSN] k12ltsp as next-server - solved

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Fri Feb 3 20:38:25 UTC 2012

Johan,
1) In your test environment, did the clients log in correctly?

2) I know almost zero about using LDAP. Sorry.

3) If it appears that the clients are trying to log in to the wrong
server:

it appears I was incorrect to suggest editing

 /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/sbin/ltsp-client-launch

to point the clients to a server other than the default at installation.

Although it works, it's the hard way to do something.

Use the option LDM_SERVER in lts.conf to tell the clients the ip address
of the server they should connect to.  Again, apologies. I forget how
much I've forgotten.
(Editing ltsp-client-launch, though, does eliminate the need to set
LDM_SERVER if you are using an IP range other than the default
installation.)

Regards,
William

On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 12:00 -0500, k12osn-request at redhat.com wrote:
> From: Johan Vermeulen <jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be>
> To: "Support list for open source software in schools."
>         <k12osn at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] k12ltsp as next-server - solved
>
> hello William,
>
> actualy, I didn't know that.
>
> I'll have to do some more reading on the difference between the two
> methods.
>
> It worked yesterday in my test environment, but today on the actual
> site, it's less successfull.
> The thinclients boot ok, but no matter what I try, users or root
> cannot
> log in on the thinclients. LDAP auth does work on the server...
> It keeps coming back with : no response from server.
>
> grt, Johan
>
> Op 02-02-12 18:41, William Fragakis schreef:
> > Johan,
> > Glad it worked out for you. You probably want to comment out
> > the root-path you aren't using as it is redundant and will confuse
> > things if someone is trying
> > debug/change things in the future.
> >
> > I don't know enough about how dhcpd.conf is read to say if the first
> or
> > last one is respected. iirc,
> > nbd works better for larger installations. So maybe something like
> >
> > option root-path "nbd:192.168.66.150:2000:squashfs:ro";
> > # option root-path "192.168.66.150:/opt/ltsp/i386";
> >
> > You probably already know that if you make any changes to the chroot
> > like yum update or installing local apps, you'll need to run
> > ltsp-update-kernels for the nbd image to be updated. You don't need
> > do that if you are booting from /opt/ltsp/i386
> >
> > Good luck,
> > William
> >

> >> ontent-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"; Format="flowed"
> >>
> >> William,
[snippage]