[K12OSN] Recommendations for gigabit switches?

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Tue Feb 28 21:21:55 UTC 2012

On 02/28/2012 12:20 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> yeah.... The price difference between switch install and never touch
> again and switch install plus replace every so often is about the cost
> of diagnostic time for a single outage from a failed switch.

That all depends on how much diagnostic time costs.  I volunteer so that
comes pretty cheap!

> A 24 port Gig switch with management that costs less than $1k is a
> pretty low end pile of hardware. Yes, it can push 1000Mbps but not
> across all ports at the same time 5days a week for 8 hours a day.

Agreed, and I have never pushed a gig through every port of any cheap
switch.  I would argue if that is what you are trying to do you already
have the wrong box and should have installed 10 GE.

> I'm not a Cisco fan as their price far exceeds their value.

Agree there.  Consider Avaya stuff, like the 4524GT.  True enterprise
grade stuff, better efficiency, non-blocking, 10 GE support, stackable,
lifetime warranty.

Jeff