[K12OSN] NFS fails to start

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed May 1 21:30:18 UTC 2013

OK. time to pull a final test run before I pull out my hair.

Open two terminal sessions on the server

on terminal one run:
setenforce 0
tail -f /var/log/messages /var/log/secure

on terminal 2 run:
echo "BEGIN TEST HERE" >> /var/log/messages
service nfs stop
service nfs start
exportfs
nfsstat

Once you run the echo on terminal2 you should see the tail update. post
what you see back here after the echo, please as well and anything from the
later commands (especially the nfsstat).

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Kenneth Lundström <
kenneth.lundstrom at nudata.fi> wrote:

> [...]
> but maybe one thing I did at some stage was a yum upgrade. The other server
> is running 6.3. Could this maybe be the problem?
>
> Client boot on Scientific.
>

> Kenneth
>
>   Hmm. what version OS are you running? CentOS/ScientificLinux/RHEL 5 or
> 6?
>
>  'chkconfig nfs on' will run nfs at bootup.
>

>  On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Kenneth Lundström <
> kenneth.lundstrom at nudata.fi> wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>
>> changed and no change :=) I even rebooted the server but no luck. The
>> strange thing is that NFS is not set to be automatically started. So I
>> guess something I have installed on the server has turned of NFS and
>> somehow makes NFS not to work.
>>
>> I even tried to compare with the other working server but no luck.
>>

>> Kenneth
>>
>>    change:
>>
>> # Turn off v4 protocol support
>> #RPCNFSDARGS="-N 4"
>>

>>  to:
>>
>> # Turn off v4 protocol support
>> RPCNFSDARGS="-N 4"
>>
>>  to disable NFSv4
>>

>> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Kenneth Lundström <
>> kenneth.lundstrom at nudata.fi> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> when I look at the /etc/sysconfig/nfs all rows are commented out.
>>>
>>> Any other way of finding out what version is in use?
>>>

>>> Kenneth
>>>
>>>    OK. Look in /etc/sysconfig/nfs and see what version of NFS is being
>>> used. If NFSv4 is on, your /etc/exports is wrong. Change settings to use
>>> NFSv3 in that location and restart nfs.

>>> --
>>> --
>>> James P. Kinney III
>>> *
>>> *Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
>>> gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own
>>> tail. It won't fatten the dog.
>>> - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
>>> *
>>> http://electjimkinney.org
>>> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
>>> *

>> --
>> --
>> James P. Kinney III
>> *
>> *Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
>> gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own
>> tail. It won't fatten the dog.
>> - Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain
>> *
>> http://electjimkinney.org
>> http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
>> *

> --
> --
> James P. Kinney III
> *
> *Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you
> gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain