[K12OSN] TC wifi initializtion - concept

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 15:13:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Terrell Prude' Jr.
<microman at cmosnetworks.com> wrote:
> No way in heck I would want TC's on wireless.  It's a hub.  X11 screen
> updates can suck up to 73 Mbit/sec when playing TuxType (I did this
> measurement about 10 years ago and re-confirmed it about 5 years ago).  As
> much as the wireless hype may be going on now, there's just no way an LTSP
> architecture can be successful on a hub, be that hub wireless or wired.
> Well, not if you intend to use the full complement of educational apps, that
> is.  And don't even *think* about anything that uses Flash, for the same
> reason.
>
> LibreOffice'll work OK.  So will Gedit or even Firefox, provided there
> aren't a lot of screen updates.  But relatively static (as far as screen
> updates go) apps like that are about it.  Putting LTSP on wireless is a
> recipe for failure, given current wireless technology.

I don't think you'd want to network-boot over wifi, but has anyone
tried more than a few sessions of NX/freenx or x2go over wifi
simultaneously?   I use it myself from a laptop frequently and think
it is great for everything short of streaming video but don't know how
well it scales.   If you aren't familiar with the NX or x2go
technology, it adds proxy/caching/compression on both the server and
client sides to greatly reduce latency and the overall bandwidth
needed, and it has cross platform clients.  Otherwise it appears as a
normal X desktop, adding the option to disconnect from running
sessions and reconnecting later with everything still running (even
from a different client).

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com