[K12OSN] networking question

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Mon Feb 17 15:30:09 UTC 2014

Our k12linux installation is out-growing our present, very primitive,
networking structure.

Currently, our ltsp server - which also behaves as the firewall for a
number of kvm servers and their vms - connects to 16 or so thin clients.
Between the clients, internal servers and printers, the switch to which
the ltsp server is connected to is at capacity (It's a basic 24 port
gigabit).

We now need to add the n+1 client that exceeds switch capacity. Do we
buy
a) a larger switch to replace the current one
b) a second switch daisy chained to the current one
c) a second switch connected to a second NIC using the same internal
ip/dhcp range (and if so, the recommended manner)
d) a more obvious, elegant, simple, cheaper method that I haven't
considered because I don't know squat (American slang for "not much")
about this stuff.

thanks to all,
William Fragakis