[K12OSN] Thin Client Hardware for k12ltsp

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 20:22:53 UTC 2014

William,

I've not built one. However, there _is_ a fedora image for arm:
http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora#arm

pidora is a fedora specifically for Raspi.

Not: all that is needed for LTSP is the kernel, libs, sound, X and libs and
network. The server will still run x86_64 code

I'm giving a hard look at the BeagleBone Black (all open source hardware!)
and less than the nanopc ($65 including case and power brick from adafruit)
http://www.adafruit.com/category/75
Fedora has a full distro for it.

I'm nowhere near ready but I'm seeing mental happy lights with a tiny box
that runs local code to get a web page connect to a OVIRT login page. A bit
of tweaking at a local arm-based spice client and these tiny boxes run a
full VM distro (build 1 and clone the rest for maintenance ease and shared
code for slim running) with a web-based management tool that is pretty easy
to maintain dozens to hundreds of VMs. Sound _JustWorks_. USB _JustWorks_.

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 12:55 PM, William Fragakis <william at fragakis.com>wrote:

> Jim,
> Could one build an arm client image off of a present Fedora version?
>
> Jeff, correct me if I'm wrong, the base Pi board is $25-30, and then you
> need those little optional bits like case, power adapter, most likely
> hdmi to whatever your monitor is converter, etc. Kits I've seen put it
> around $65-70 for something you can plug in and power on.
>
> regards,
> William
>
> > On 03/05/2014 07:53 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > > This was just shared on another list I'm on.
> > >
> > > http://nanopc.org/NanoPC-T1_Feature.html
> > >
> > > It's arm so it gets treated a bit different. With 4G flash storage,
> > it
> > > makes sense to preload a base OS that does the remote X back to a
> > CentOS
> > > server. At $70, it's cheap enough to tinker with.
> >
> > If you are looking for really inexpensive how about a Raspberry Pi at
> > $25?
> >
> > http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php
> >
> > There are some downsides to consider, especially on the
> > administrative
> > side, since they clients are technically no longer thin.
> >
> > Jeff

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*