[katello-devel] When to do bundle install

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Wed Aug 3 14:09:36 UTC 2011

On 08/03/2011 03:13 PM, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> I'm not sure that it should be oldest, we'll have to think about that
> some more.  If the Gemfile.lock is changing depending on the
> distribution the developer is using maybe it shouldn't be checked in.
> (I wouldn't want to only allow developers to develop on RHEL 6 for
> example).

Yeah, this is the big question:

Which version numbers should we "froze" in git using Bundler?

Hard to say. I tend to like "oldest" approach the most, because
libraries are usually backwards compatible. If we develop anything with
the latest and greatest library, it may not work with older version.
Vice versa *should* work in general ;-)

Yeah, there will be exceptions which will lead to conditional statements
in our code. It just happens.

And we have QA environments for testing on various distros, so we should
be fine.

@Jeff - do you run your installation / regression tests on both Fedoras?

  Lukas Zapletal | E32E400A
  RHN Satellite Engineering