[katello-devel] Bundle install problems should be gone now

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 06:51:00 UTC 2011

On 08/04/2011 10:52 PM, Shannon Hughes wrote:
> the problem is the addition of the build requires (commit
> ce59cbced1570fac639a78d17292952ab43beb73) that the katello virtual build
> boxes now need all those gems installed in order to build katello. this
> is not the correct approach imho to *build* katello since those rpms are
> deps required by katello, not needed to actually build the katello rpm.

I understand your feeling we could live without them, but as we have
bundler install in the %build section we need them there. Ruby apps have
no build-time dependencies, but we do. It was our decision to put it
there and it is nothing very special to have additional checks in the
build file forcing us to build only valid RPMs.

I hope it's currently the best approach to heal our rubygems dependency
issues. We are trying to build up-to-date Gemfile.lock, and this can
only be done with the gems themselves. Using the lockfile from our git
repo is not the path, we are changing it.

And it's working now - as community member reports it (RPM 0.1.57+)
helped to solve  "rack-something not found" issue.

I hope our build box works similar to Koji - it installs all the
required dependencies first, then builds the package. I really don't
understand what is the point here. Do you worry the build box will
download too many packages? Or does it bother you there is no way of
building the rpm locally without those deps? Please elaborate.

This is currently a BLOCKER not only for me, but for all of us. Let's
hook up and make a call in your TZ morning.

  Lukas Zapletal | E32E400A
  RHN Satellite Engineering
  Red Hat Czech s.r.o. Brno